YouTube has become an immensely successful site. It now sees over 30 million visitors a month and in 2006 it was sold to Google for $1.77 billion dollars.
Online video is an absolutely huge and growing market and there are plenty of YouTube clones out there that are very successful. Let me name a just a few:
* Metacafe: 10-25 million unique visitors a month
* Daily Motion: 15-20 million unique visitors a month
* Break.com: Estimated 10 million unique visitors a month
* JumpCut.com: Estimated 0.5 – 5 million visitors a month
* Revver: Estimated 2 – 5 million visitors a month
While general video sharing sites are definitely extremely popular it is also a very competitive market to enter. However, that does not mean there is no room for more video sharing sites, there are plenty of huge opportunities in making niche video sharing websites.