Every computer which is connected to the internet has the possibility of being attacked by virus or spy ware or by hackers. You need to be extra cautious when your computer is connected to the Internet.
1. The most important thing to do is keep your passwords a secret. If you must give a password to someone, be sure to change it when they are done using the access.
2. Don’t write your passwords down or share them with too many people. Periodically change your passwords.
3. Use complex passwords for your online accounts – Passwords should be a minimum of eight characters and contain a combination of letters , numbers and symbols.
4. Keep your scripts and downloaded programs updated. Always upgrade to the latest version of your blog, forum, shopping cart, etc.
5. Do not have writable file permissions. The correct permissions are normally 755 or 644, and you can check these in your File Manager.
6. Uninstall Java if you don’t really need it as this is one of the most exploited programs.
7. Run programs on your system, that where downloaded from a untrustworthy source only. Disable the autorun function in windows PC.
8. Always update your Operating system or software when an update is available as this can greatly reduce the chances of an exploit.
9. Use the best available Anti- virus tool and scan your computer regularly.
10. Never download files from any suspicious websites. Always scan any documents from the external drive before you open or save them.